I will firmly admit that I don’t eat breakfast every single day, but when I do, I really enjoy it. I find that breakfast is the perfect opportunity to eat both dairy-free and vegan, which I do not follow throughout the rest of the day (I’ve tried, it’s not for me, I’M SORRY VEGANS… I RESPECT YOU).
I had my fair share of yogurt parfaits and avocado toast with egg over the past few years, and while those foods are delicious and filling, I find that I tend to enjoy lighter, easier meals in the morning.
These two (super easy, I’m not claiming to be an innovator here) recipes are what I’ve been mainly eating over the past few months.
- Berry Banana Smoothie
This could not be simpler. All you need:
- Frozen berry medley (I get mine from Whole Foods frozen fruit section)
- 1 or 1 1/2 bananas (depending on your preference)
- Coconut water
- Optional additions: baby spinach, chia seeds
Blend all of these wonderful ingredients together and you have an easy, amazing smoothie. I’m seriously obsessed with this and I drink it in the dead of winter in Chicago, I don’t care! I sometimes sprinkle it with some granola, but that’s just if I’m feeling like I need a little more to fill me up.
2. Peanut Butter Oatmeal Dream
What you’ll need:
- Whole grain oats, make sure the only ingredient listed is OATS. (I use instant, but I hear those aren’t the best for you. If you want to take the longer, healthier route, go ahead.)
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk (obsessed with Califia Farms brand)
- Real maple syrup
- Real peanut butter
Follow the instructions for making the oatmeal, but use the almond milk instead of dairy milk or water. Then stir in about a tablespoon and a half of peanut butter (two if you’re feeling it) and pour in about a tablespoon of maple syrup. This has been the most filling and amazingly delicious breakfast. It would also be great if you add sliced banana and cinnamon to the top.
These have been my go-to’s and I think for good reason.
Let me know if you guys give either of these a try and let me know if you have any good breakfast recipes for me to try in the comments. I’m always looking for new food.
Thanks for reading,